Author, Drew Garcia, NALP Program Director, Rancho Mesa Insurance Services, Inc.
In order to create a best practices fleet safety program that will help you reduce claims and control premiums, we recommend you consider adding the following controls to your written fleet safety program.
1. DRIVER SELECTION
- Check MVR’s prior to allowing anyone the opportunity to drive for your company. Enroll drivers into the DMV Pull Program to monitor their driving experience throughout the year.
- Create a short written driver safety quiz that all drivers must pass with a certain percentage of correct answers. Be sure to go over the incorrect answers to help them grow as a safe driver. Consider re-testing on a regular basis.
Quick Safe Driving Quiz, Decision Driving Quiz
- Perform a drive test with the employee to make sure they are capable of operating the vehicle safely. Be sure to have employee’s attach trailers, park vehicles with trailers and cone off vehicles if it will be required during the scope of their employment.
Road Test Evaluation Form, Road Test with Trailer Evaluation Form
- Create custom policies that outline driving requirements employees must reach to be able to drive for the company and sustain their eligibility to drive.
Sample Driving Requirements
2. FLEET MONITORING SYSTEM
- Consider using fleet management systems to help monitor route efficiency, speed, GPS, and fuel intake while automatically tracking when maintenance is required per vehicle based on individual use. It is highly suggested you disclose that your company uses fleet monitoring systems to all your employees and include this in your employee handbook.
Fleet Monitoring Information
3. DISTRACTED DRIVING POLICY
- Implement and remind employees that distracted driving is the leading cause for motor vehicle accidents. Create a policy that employees are aware of and regularly remind them of your stance on distracted driving.
Sample Distracted Driving Policy, Distracted Driving Quiz, Distracted Driving Article
4. QUICK TRAINING CHECKS AND BALANCES
- Consider creating a proprietary “Company Name Quick 365” safety training techniques to reiterate the importance of safe driving.
- Quick vehicle and rig checks prior to starting the vehicle to ensure everything is secured and ready to be mobile.
- Reward employees for safe driving techniques or suggesting safe company procedures.
- Use actual accidents and incidents to create training topics with possible solutions.
5. DETAILED ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION
- When an accident occurs, be sure your employee is properly trained to document the incident with an in depth accident investigation report.
Accident Investigation Report
For questions about your fleet and driver safety program, contact Rancho Mesa Insurance Services, Inc. at (619) 937-0164